Tuesday, February 26, 2013

2013-02-26 Tue


Retired

Here's something I'm still struggling to explain; this is part of the struggle.
Blood Pressure; Doctor says recording for 3 months, then come back. OK, something to do on rising, and on retiring at night. Blood tests. Today's the day. FASTING blood test, and the last time I did this across the street I was one of four people struggling to be first in line, but today I'm more relaxed.
I take my Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure, slip a $50 note into my wallet, and drift across the street. Listening to podcasts, relaxed, in and out in 15 minutes!
Collect two white dress shirts from the cleaners (there's a wedding in the offing), collect the papers from Ryerson University, and arrive home at 9:45, pour my first coffee and settle down to read the paper.
At 10 the phone rings, friend Betty out the west end. Would I like to join here at The Montreal Deli for brunch after she has dropped off her car for service? Sure. I have nothing else planned for the day.
Truth is I DO have things planned, but nothing that can't be shifted.
Each day I have an assigned task that MUST be done. Today it was fasting-blood-tests, and since that's done, nothing else is fixed in stone. (Tomorrow is Meet-Fred-for-lunch; once that's done, the rest of the day is my own).
So out to the west end, a nice brunch, collect the car, it needs a new tire, but Betty wants to go to Bloor West Autos, so off we go, get a quote, she schedules a visit, and what now?
It is 2pm.
Let's check out Vaughan Mills and see what we would have to pay for a light-weight canoe. ($700 + tax, including paddles, vests, transporter kit) and that done, let's wander the mall.
It's payday, my pension cheque is in, so I treat betty to afternoon tea, a decadent desert and rich coffees, we wander some more, then head home and grill a steak with boiled veggies, play cards, there is an agitated telephone conversation with Betty's sister regarding canoeing (we laugh) and I arrive back here around 11pm.
What a day!
And except for the blood test and shirts, I had no idea that my day would unfold this way.
I love the randomness.

No comments:

Post a Comment