Friday, March 8, 2013

2013-03-08 Fri


The TTC - security

The TTC continue to amaze me, as I continue to probe the matter of the Yellow Sticker on the Monthly MetroPass.
Sitting on a stool at the Dufferin turnstile is a TTC gent about my age, presumably aware of fraud, security etc because he is inspecting each MetroPass and ticket as we walk through.
I'm last to walk through, so I ask if he can explain to me how the yellow sticker works as a security feature.
He tries, I'll give him that.
His explanation is that it circumvents fraud along the lines of photocopying the pass. See? If you photocopy the pass while the yellow sticker is ion place, then a user can't "peel" the (photocopied) yellow sticker from the (photocopied) MetroPass.
Huh?
On the 28th of the month I buy a MetroPass for next month.
I take it home, and in the privacy of my own bedroom, peel of the real yellow sticker from the real MetroPass.
Then I photocopy/print a thousand copies of the MetroPass.
How has the yellow sticker improved security?
People who buy a forged/photocopied sticker from me at cut-rate prices know it isn't real; they know the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment