Tuesday, March 26, 2013

2013-03-26 Tue


Clear Thinking

Accosted, again, this morning by a construction site worker who I correctly addressed as "idiot", to which he took offence; but I was right.
Lest you think that I go out of my way to antagonize street folk, be assured that at 66 I've had experience crossing the street in the UK, Australia, France, Singapore, USA and Canada - all places where I have resided and worked for extended periods. I'm not counting vacation spots such as Cuba, Germany, Spain and so on.
So to this morning: I walk up St Luke's Lane with a car slowly catching up to me. A construction-lorry blocks the end of the lane, so I know the car will elect to turn right, east, towards Yonge Street and an escape.
I elect to turn left, west, towards my home, and catch the eye of the truck driver, but he is now busy reversing because a truck-trailer ahead of him is reversing; I'm certain neither of them can see me.
So I duck between the construction fence and the row of 30-inch high concrete traffic barriers. Well-protected, me, from the two drivers.
But not from the local construction tin-god who berates me soundly for putting my own life in danger.
Huh?
He, of course, is operating on a minimal set of facts: I am walking where he thinks I shouldn't.
I am operating on a larger base of data: The car, truck, and trailer combination are all focused on their own paths.
I have placed myself into the protective security of a significant traffic barrier of concrete.
Who is the idiot?

No comments:

Post a Comment