Friday, March 29, 2013

2013-03-29 Fri


Retired

Still!
Good Friday: I wake to see nobody on the streets; a public holiday. I dress and walk down Jarvis to King, hang a right, and drop in to Tim Hortons to pee and buy a small coffee. And a muffin. Back Outside I see the last Toronto Star in a box, so I pay for a newspaper (first time in about a year) and retreat back into the coffee shop. Why hurry?
I may not get done today all I want to get done, but there's always tomorrow ...
I walk back up Church street and arrive home around 10am.
Once divested of my vest, a whim strikes me: a hot bubble-bath would be nice. Why not? In the past I'd have postponed the bath - there are proposals to be written, phone calls to be made. But today I plunge into a warm soaking bath, at 10 am, with a good book.
Dried and dressed I hear a small plane fly overhead. Why does this always make me feel happy? Perhaps because the first small planes I saw I saw at the seaside, and only at the seaside, so the sound of a small plane is associated with good memories of sand-castles, sandwiches, and a generally good time when even my mother was relaxed.

SUFE

So today is national let's-inspect-the-primary-vermicomposter day.
Please email CGreaves@ChrisGreaves.com for this image. Home_HPIM5631.JPG
This vermicomposter is no more than a cardboard carton with a black plastic garbage bag.
I have tipped the contents onto a table-cloth - another black plastic garbage bag. Why are you surprised?
Please email CGreaves@ChrisGreaves.com for this image. Home_HPIM5632.JPG
Into the emptied bag go the month's accumulation of shredded paper; this will provide food and air and a moisture reservoir so that the bacteria can thrive.
Please email CGreaves@ChrisGreaves.com for this image. Home_HPIM5633.JPG
Over the paper scraps I deposit the original contents of the vermicomposter, which is the accumulated decomposition of this months kitchen scraps.
Please email CGreaves@ChrisGreaves.com for this image. Home_HPIM5634.JPG
The paper bin is empty and ready for next month.
Please email CGreaves@ChrisGreaves.com for this image. Home_HPIM5635.JPG
I am contemplating making another kit for a friend, so I'll put the paper directly into an empty potting-soil bag, then add a gallon of kitchen scraps, and next month seed it with some handfuls of material from the primary vermicomposter.
So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment